BY SAMANTHA KOLB
The life of a college student brings many trials and tribulations, whether you are a first semester first-year or a senior who is close to the finish line. That being said, we are all guilty of spending entire days wrapped up in a cozy blanket watching the first five seasons of a TV show on Netflix. I have compiled a list of the top five Netflix shows that you maybe haven’t heard of that are perfect for binge watching, especially as the weather gets colder and staying inside seems like a perfectly legitimate idea.
- “Friends”- Yes, as millennials we have seen this show when it was actually on TV and you had to wait an entire week to see a new episode. Well fret no longer! All 10 seasons of this show are on Netflix, perfect for binge watching. Each episode is only half an hour long, as well, perfect for a quick study break. If you’re looking for a little laugh and some heavy nostalgia, “Friends” will give you both.
- “Sherlock”- BBC shows are not necessarily everyone’s cup of tea (yes, that was intentional), but “Sherlock” offers invigorating plotlines and excellent acting by Bilbo Baggins and Smaug, also known as Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch. The cinematography must be noted as well, and Moffat, the show’s creator, keeps to the original Sir Arthur Conan Doyle tales in mind for most of the stories. There are only three seasons with three episodes each, but they are lengthy enough for hours of Sherlockian entertainment.
- “Criminal Minds”- Yes, it’s a cop show. Yes, it gets gory. Yes, you learn some interesting psychological facts about a criminal’s mind. But there are currently 10 seasons available for watching, and if the action genre is your forte, I highly recommend this show. If you’re new to the show, I may suggest watching it with a buddy. Hey, it’s perfect for the Halloween season!
- “Doctor Who”- Indeed, a second BBC and Moffat show in this list, but for good reason. “Doctor Who” has been running for 50 years, though the newest series popped back up after a hiatus in 2005. This show is for the Sci-Fi lovers who also enjoy British humor and clever storylines. There are currently eight seasons available on Netflix, with the ninth season having recently premiered.
- “The X-Files”- Rounding off this list is another 90s classic perfect for the Halloween season. “The X-Files” is perfect for any cop drama/supernatural enthusiast. And it’s apparently making a comeback for 2016. So if any of the commercials have piqued your interest, I would suggest watching the original to see what the fuss is all about. Warning: There are some disgusting and creepy episodes, but if you’re a “Criminal Minds” fan, then this should be a walk in the park. Currently, eight seasons are shown on Netflix.
This list is a compilation of what is trending now on Netflix. Granted, shows like “The Walking Dead”, “The Blacklist”, “Supernatural” and “Bones” are all excellent binge shows as well, but this list offers a variety to viewers who may be looking for something a little different. So happy binge-watching! Just try to do homework first.